Our thought leader of the day is evolutionary biologist, Dr. Tamsin Woolley-Barker. She is the author of the Amazon bestseller, “TEEMING,” where she lays out practical recommendations to change businesses and help them flourish long-term.
Tamsin draws from her years’ worth of experience in studying animal behaviors to craft these recommendations, which include what she calls “shared purposes” and the optimal number to ensure accountability within a group.
Tune in now and learn from Tamsin the lessons that businesses can learn from nature!
Disclaimer: This podcast contains affiliate links! That means if you purchase from the companies we promote using the links we provide, we receive a small commission. Thank you for your support! You can see our full affiliate disclosure here.
[00:01 – 06:30] Opening Segment
- Help us with our survey and win some exciting prizes!
- Link below
- Let’s get to know Dr. Tamsin Woolley-Barker
[06:31 – 17:11] Untapped Resources in Nature
- Tamsin talks about biomimicry
- George de Mestral, the Velcro® Inventor
- Imitations to shark skins
- Tamsin breaks down patterns and pattern-seeking
- What Tamsin learned from studying baboons
- The way they organize
- What changes should be made in businesses according to Tamsin
- Here’s a lesson from Tamsin’s research that can be applied to dating systems
[17:12 – 28:10] The Unexpected Lesson from Studying Ants
- Tamsin learned that ants can be identified individually too
- What’s the lesson here?
- What are the pitfalls of the Efficiency Paradigm?
- Listen to Tamsin’s thoughts about freeloaders and parasites
- The number of people in a group that maximizes accountability
- Join the Conspiracy of Goodness Network!
- Link below
[28:11 – 39:27] Diversity of Possibilities
- Tamsin talks about the world’s version of the internet found underground
- What is mycelium and why you should know more about it?
- Listen to our interesting exchange about the “wolf mentality”
- Tamsin shares her thoughts about “diversity of possibilities”
[39:28 – 52:23] The Optimal Number Within A Group
- How to manage bad news according to Tamsin
- See the leverage points of your life with Tamsin’s tips
- Tamsin talks about our animal nature and human nature
- “Grooming on steroids”
- What does this mean?
- Listen to these practical tips to build your own social circle
[52:24 – 58:34] Closing Segment
- Connect with Tamsin. Links below
- Tamsin tells us why this is still an amazing world
- Final words and announcements
“If we could get organizations to change the way they’re structured from this mechanistic, efficiency mindset to this living system, diversity-honoring, evolving, and adaptive kind of system, we could solve all our problems very quickly.” – Dr. Tamsin Woolley-Barker
“If you have a strongly shared purpose and a value…people will go to work and do just fine, and it’s far more efficient, and the ants figured that out 200 million years ago, and I think that we’ve always lived that way.” – Dr. Tamsin Woolley-Barker
- We all know how important arts education can be, and Blick Art Materials does too. They support arts events, artists awards, and donate art supplies all throughout the US. For all your art materials needs, check out Blick! Start here.
Follow Tamsin on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Check out Teem Innovation Group and learn applicable tools that facilitate collaboration, innovation, and other lessons that nature has been applying ever since!
EWC NEEDS A FAVOR – your feedback! Take this 3-4 minute survey to let us know what you like, what you could do without, and what you want to see more of from us. Thank you for being here and for helping us prove it’s still an amazing world.
Conspiracy of Goodness Links:
Conspiracy of Goodness Network
CoG on Instagram
Ever Widening Circles
Dr. Lynda’s Book: