Some foods from the southern U.S. have an iconic appeal almost everywhere in the world: Fried chicken, cornbread, chicken-fried steak and gravy. But what about the fringe foods that might not sound good, unless you actually have a taste? Read on and you might just want to try oven-fried Green Tomatoes!
We don’t do a lot of “food articles” here on EWC, but this topic is unique because of the international possibilities it brings. Green tomatoes and zucchini (yes, this is a marvelous way to eat zucchini!) are things that people of many cultures have in abundance this time of the year and through the fall.
Our family has found that Oven-Fried Green Tomatoes are one of those fringe foods that you can’t imagine liking, but will savor if you give our recipe discoveries a try.
How did we come upon this delight?
Some of you may know that Dr. Chuck (our EWC co-founder) was captain of the University of Kentucky basketball team and we went to Dental School in Kentucky too, so our life has included a decade of southern living.
We’ve known some of the most amazing southern cooks who took us under their wings.
Here’s the story on this summer treat: In mid-summer through fall, you generally have a lot of green tomatoes and enough zucchini to leave extra on the neighbor’s doorsteps. This gives you a great opportunity to make some oven fried zucchini a new way I’ll describe, and throw a few slices of green tomatoes with the zucchini while you are at it!
(And you are definitely in food heaven if you try this method with some sliced eggplant too!)
Here’s the key: Oven frying with a special crust mixture. We use a combination of Parmesan cheese and seasoned panko crumbs. You could oven-fry an old sweat sock in the coating I am giving you the recipe for today, and it would taste amazing.
Best of all, since we are not deep-frying, you can eat these with a completely clear conscience and avoid the mess of deep-frying.
And the variations on this theme can go anywhere you like. My favorite restaurant in Burlington Vermont serves a BLT sandwich with fried green tomatoes. Recently I had a burger with them. You can do a variation on eggplant parmesan using fried green tomatoes.
Let’s get to the greatest oven-fried green tomatoes recipe you’ve ever tasted…
What you’ll need (feeds 5 to 6 people):
- 5 or 6 green tomatoes (make sure the tomatoes don’t have a hint of yellow! If they aren’t
completely whitish-green, they’ll get mushy far too fast while baking, and won’t crisp properly in the oven)
- Zucchini and/or eggplant (x2 each; optional)
- 3 cookie sheets
- Olive oil
- 1 cup of water
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ cups seasoned Panko crumbs
- 1 ½ cups quality Parmesan cheese
- Chipotle mustard (optional… but definitely recommended!)
- Preheat the oven to 400-degrees
- Slice your green tomatoes a little less than a ½-inch thick (that’s a little less then 1-centimeter thick; shown above), then set them aside
- Oh! You’ll want to slice your zucchini and eggplant the same thickness at this point if you are feeling especially energetic
- Get out your 3 cookie sheets and cover them with enough olive oil that the oil’s very apparent. Not deep but obviously cover the whole sheet
- In a deep bowl, crack 4 eggs and add about a cup of water
- Beat the mixture very vigorously about 1-minute
- In another bowl, add 1 ½-cups of seasoned panko crumbs and 1 ½-cups of good quality, grated Parmesan cheese; mix these well
- Dip your green tomato (or other vegetables) slices in the egg wash thoroughly, then let the excess drip off over the bowl
- Dredge these slices in the parmesan/crumb mixture to completely coat it
- Place these encrusted green tomato slices on the oiled cookie sheets until the sheets are full (you can put them close together)
- Back at 400-degrees for about 20-25 minutes until they’re crispy on both sides (if you have the oven hot enough, you won’t have to turn them)
- Serve just as they are (magical) or with a little drizzle of chipotle mustard for added flare… YUM!
And with that, you’re done!
Remember that the whole process can be done with zucchini and eggplant!
Once you’ve enjoyed a full belly tonight, settle in to have a peek at a few of the other articles here on EverWideningCircles.com. Scroll down our homepage to find that wonders never cease. As you can see, we have no obnoxious advertising and no agenda.
To do that, we’ve written over 1000 articles – about every topic under the sun – that each demonstrate this is still an amazing world. Our goal here at EWC is simply to change the negative dialogue about our world.
We’ve created it for people who are still curious, happy and hopeful. You can find interesting things from the web on any subject under the sun and be assured of the fact that it’s still an amazing world out there!
Good eating! Now if you want to put a spring in your step, check out a few more articles at the bottom of this page.
Stay open, curious and hopeful!
~ Dr. Lynda
Want to see more positive news, fun or insights?
You can join us on our mission to prove that it’s still an amazing world by supporting us on Patreon! There, you can also get access to exclusive content! If that isn’t your style, you can help by reading and sharing our content with friends and family! The more eyeballs you can help us reach, the more positivity we can all spread together. Thanks for stopping by today!